I’m a Postdoctoral Researcher at the Ruhr University Bochum. I’m a member in the Emmy Noether Research Group “From perception to belief and back again“.
My doctoral thesis, which I defended in July 2018, was concerned with the nature of knowing why. It integrates debates about knowledge and concealed questions, (scientific) explanations, why-questions, gradability, and scientific idealizations. During my doctoral studies (2014-2018), I was
- a Predoctoral Researcher on the Volkswagen Foundation project “A study in explanatory power” at the University of Duisburg-Essen (2014-2018)
- an Ernst Mach Visiting Research Fellow at the University of Salzburg (2017-2018)
- a visiting doctoral student at the University of Edinburgh (2017) and at NYU (2015-2016)
- the spokeswoman for a young researchers’ Interdisciplinary Network for Studies Investigating Science and Technology (“INSIST”) (2014-2016)
My main research falls along the border of epistemology and philosophy of science. I believe that the philosophical questions I am interested in are best addressed from a multi-fold perspective including science, epistemology, and linguistics. My research interests lie in topics in
- general philosophy of science (esp. why-questions, explanations, models & simulations)
- philosophy of cognitive science (esp. statistical tools, measurement)
- epistemology (esp. understanding, knowledge and concealed questions),
- formal semantics (esp. multi-modal content, non-declarative sentences),
- critical thinking instruction.
Although philosophy is my main occupation I have a profound interest in linguistics, as well. I was a Researcher on the interdisciplinary project “Speech-gesture alignment” of the CRC 673 “Alignment in Communication” at Bielefeld University (2011-2015).
news & Upcoming events:
- New publication: My paper “Levels of reasons why and answers to why-questions” has been published in the journal Philosophy of Science 86(1), p. 168-177.
- New publication: The introduction to the special issue “Philosophical methods” (co-edited together with Anna-Maria A. Eder & Raphael van Riel) is online first in the journal Synthese.
- New commentary: Together with several colleagues from SWIP Germany, I published a commentary on the position paper “Nachhaltige Nachwuchsförderung”.
- New responsibility: I was elected as a member of the executive committee of SWIP Germany.
- January 2019: The SWIP Ruhr group is meeting in Bochum.
- February 2019: I give an invited talk on idealized models at the workshop “Scientific Understanding and Representation” at the University of Bordeaux-Montaigne.
- June 2019: Together with Edouard Machery, I host the workshop “Measurement in Cognitive Science” at the Ruhr University Bochum.
- June 2019: Together with Peter Brössel, I host a Students meets Author workshop with Bence Nanay on his theory of perception at the Ruhr University Bochum.
- July 2019: Together with Peter Brössel, Jim Pryor, and Filippo Vindrola, I host the pre-read workshop “Epistemology Seminar 2019” at the Ruhr University Bochum.